In dental practices where x-radiography is performed it’s appropriate to appoint at least one Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS) to ensure requirements of the Ionising Radiations Regulations 1999 (IRR99), most notably the local rules, are adhered to.
Why do I need to do this course?
It is a requirement under IRR99 that RPSs know enough about radiation protection principles and procedures, and the requirements of IRR99 that apply to work with x-radiation in a dental practice environment, to enable them to supervise the work safely. This includes:
• Understanding the risks to health created by exposure to ionising radiation
• The precautions that can be taken to restrict exposures
• The arrangements in local rules and the actions to take in an emergency
To meet this requirement, the individual(s) appointed to the role of RPS should receive appropriate training, which is usually achieved by attending a formal, externally delivered training course.
How long will this course take?
2.5 hours: There are no specific number of CPD hours required to undertake the role of an RPS, however, the course can be deemed to fall under the GDC’s 5 year cycle of continuing education and training for healthcare professionals: 2.5hrs of verifiable CPD is, therefore, awarded.
What is covered in this course?
After completing DBG’s Radiation Protection Supervisors in Dental Practice course, you will have received appropriate training as required by regulations 14 and 17 of IRR99:
- The nature and properties of ionising radiations, especially with respect to the use of x-rays in dental community
- The quantities and units relevant to radiation protection
- The hazards associated with, and the health effects from, the use of x-rays. Dose limitation.
- The requirements of IRR99, including the importance of keeping radiation doses as low as reasonably practicable; risk assessment; training requirements; local rules, the role of the RPS.
How much does this course cost?
£495 plus VAT
for a DBG Member with up to 15 delegates
£595 plus VAT
for a non DBG Member with up to 15 delegates
£10 plus VAT per additional delegate up to a maximum of 20.